I believe there is a fundamental difference between religious people and followers of Christ. If you’re not sure which one you are, I’ve devised 5 simple steps to tick off religious people:
1. Be like Jesus and show people unconditional love, acceptance and forgiveness regardless of their lifestyle or circumstances (including non-Christians - gasp! Matthew 11:19).
2. Do something awesome for Jesus without getting permission from your pastor (as a pastor, I hereby give you permission to do awesome things for Jesus without my permission; John 14:12).
3. Vote for a Democrat (or a Republican; depending on how your particular religious crowd rolls; Romans 13:1).
4. Skip church one Sunday and go do something fun with your family (key word = “one”; Mark 2:27).
5. Write a blog telling people how to tick off religious people (Ephesians 4:14-16; or leave a comment here adding some of your own ideas to the list & I’ll take the heat for you).
If these steps generate an emotional response in you somewhat akin to having bamboo shoots driven under your fingernails, there is a significant chance you are a religious person. If you can picture yourself doing any/all of these steps without shame or fear of losing your salvation – Congrats! You just might be a follower of Jesus Christ.