I’ve been posting some pretty heavy stuff lately, so to relieve a little bit of the tension here are Five Things That Make Me Smile:
1. My Wife. There are approximately 7,839,256,912 things my wife can do to make me smile & that number continues to grow each day. I think one of the keys to the success of our marriage is that we laugh together. I smile just thinking about Dawn’s smile.
2. Mushy Text Messages from My Kids. Like this one from my daughter earlier this week: “thanks for texting me! it means a lot sorry that sounds lame but whatever ur the best dad i could ask for.” Yesss! I love that. (Courtney, Don’t worry. I doubt any of your friends read my blog…although prospective boyfriends would be wise to do so!)
3. Watching My Son Play Football. I don’t think I’m living vicariously through my son, but I love seeing him out on the field. Best of all he’s getting all A’s and B’s — which makes him a genuine student athlete! I love it!! I’m proud of you, Kaden!
4. Seeing People’s Lives Changed Through Their Relationship with Jesus Christ. This is the best part of being a pastor. I hear so many testimonies of amazing, life-changing events and “God moments” in people’s lives. It strengthens my own faith in Christ and … makes me smile!
5. Christians Who Understand Their Calling as the “People of Blessing.” There is a subtle shift taking place in our church. Slowly but surely people are starting to “get it.” When people GET it — then DO it — I LOVE it! Dawn & I got an email this week that said: “Thank you to the two of you for being an inspiration and a catalyst for changing the culture of the church as we know it, definitely a great thing!!” That made me smile, but the truth is — our labor is in vain if people aren’t moved to action. I double-dog-dare you to make me smile.
So … there are five things that make me smile. What makes YOU smile?